Monday, December 26, 2011

Fil-Canadian painter places third in reality show ‘Next Great Artist’

Filipino-Canadian figurative painter Sara Jimenez recently placed third in the second season of Bravo TV’s hit reality TV show “Work of Art: The Next Great Artist.”

Jimenez competed against Korean-American/Kiwi performance artist and photographer Young Sun Han and Iranian-American drawer and painter Kymia Nawabi in the finale.

They were each given three months and $7,500 to create their own full gallery exhibits.

“I am nervous because I know I've experimented a lot with new materials and I'm not fully confident with how it works together,” Jimenez admitted during the show’s finale episode, aired on December 22 (Philippine time). “This is my very first solo show and it’s overwhelming.”

Of the three finalists, Nawabi was the one who took home the grand prize of $100,000 provided by Fiat.

Nawabi will also be featured on Blue Canvas magazine and will have a solo show at the world-renowned Brooklyn Museum.

After the grand prize winner was announced, Jimenez said, “It feels really painful to come so close and to not win. I feel sad and a little angry. I at least wanted to be in the top two.”

In an earlier challenge where the contestants had to make a work of art using car parts, Jimenez emerged as the winner and bagged $25,000.

“I can afford to go to graduate school! I can’t believe it,” Jimenez had said during that episode.

Currently, Jimenez is a graduate student of fine arts at Parsons, The New School for Design in New York. - VVP, GMA News

source:gmanetwork.com