Saturday, June 30, 2012

A moment with Lolong: the world’s largest crocodile


I have always been fascinated by nature and wildlife especially since most of it can be found in the region where I was born, Caraga. One of the most amazing creatures on my list would be the saltwater crocodile scientifically known as Crocodylus porosus.

During my elementary days, my grandmother used to tell the story about how people trapped several crocodiles after a great flood that hit my home city of Butuan back in the 70’s. My childhood fascination grew when I saw a stuffed 4-feet-long crocodile on display, caught after the flood, at the back of our neighbor’s home.

Back in 2002, I visited the fishing town of Del Carmen in Siargao Island to shoot some footages of the saltwater crocodile for a project, but failed since the locals even happily bragged that they have killed all of it and will continue to do so if they would ever see more.

So I turned my attention to one of the most ecologically significant wetlands in the Philippines, the Agusan Marsh. But back then all I had were tales instead of tails, which was also started to fade over the years together with my fascination.

When I first heard the news of the capture of a large saltwater crocodile in the town of Bunawan, in Agusan del Sur in September of 2011, I wanted to head straight to the scene. But my work and a meager and almost non-existent budget kept me from going there.

The other day I had a chance, I took it and Lolong was worth the three-hour drive from Butuan City.

Six months after the visit of Australian zoologist and crocodile expert Dr. Adam Britton, Lolong was officially certified by the Guinness Book of World Records as the world’s biggest crocodile in captivity. Measuring from snout-to-tail at 6.17 m (20.24 ft), and weight at approximately 1075 kg (2370 lbs).





I’ve seen saltwater crocodiles in farms and zoos but the size of Lolong is just simply out of this world. Experts suggest that it is “just 50 years old” and might even grow more than its current size.

Although for people who wants to see the crocodile in action, they would be disappointed since Lolong does not move that much and spend most of the time basking—the better for the creature to store in more body heat since it is a cold-blooded predator.

Out in the wild, saltwater crocodiles are ambush predators, waiting for their prey for several hours for the right opportunity before rushing out to attack. As cold-blooded predators, they have a very slow metabolism, so they can survive long periods without food.

One of Lolong’s caretaker, Eutiquiano Aguillon or known as “loloy” confirmed the crocodile’s slow metabolic diet.

“We feed a variety of beef or pork at around 20 kilo per meal, that is only three times a month, if we feed the crocodile not in the proper schedule he would just leave it behind and not eat it,” said Loloy.

Town council member Ronald B. Nuer, who headed the Bunawan crocodilus operation project under Mayor Edwin Elorde’s direction (Executive Order no.2 Series 2011) pointed out that the local government unit will be embarking on a Php200-million site development project for the Bunawan Eco-Park and Research Center.

“The immediate project right now would be the road construction and repair from the highway leading to the eco-park and the pavilion for the guest. Slowly we are getting money from groups and fellow politicians in the development of the site,” said Nuer.



Lolong receives hundred to a thousand tourists a day generating a monthly average income of Php200-300 thousand a month and sometimes even more.

Besides its majestic attraction, a new development plan for the ecopark will soon incorporate other sustainable features such as a botanical garden, aviary, mammal zoo, camping site, restaurant, pool, and even a zip line.

article source: interaksyon.com