Thursday, September 4, 2014

No trash talk as Pacquiao, Algieri face off in LA


LOS ANGELES –- It was a friendly face off between opponents as boxers Manny Pacquiao and Chris Algieri spoke to Los Angeles media about their upcoming welterweight showdown on November 22 at the Cotai Arena in Macau.

There was no trash talk as Pacquiao and Algieri only talked about putting on a good fight. The unbeaten American, who holds a master's degree in nutrition, even gave a bloodstone – believed to have health benefits – as a present to Pacquiao's trainer, Freddie Roach, who suffers from Parkinson's Disease.

It was a sign of gratitude for Roach's hospitality throughout the 27,000-mile press tour.

"My coach believes in the healing powers more than I do, but I believe in positive energy," said Algieri. "I believe physics is about energy. Everything is about energy for me."

"These stones, whether they affect my body or blood or whatever, but I think when I look at them, I think of a positive person who has presented them to me or made these for me," he added. "They're reminders of positivity, positive energy, and I'm a positive person."

While the 5-foot-10 Algieri towers over the 5-foot-6 Pacquiao, the New Yorker still comes in as a heavy underdog against the former pound-for-pound king.

"Another day in the office for me," Algieri said. "I've been a big underdog in my last couple of fights and many other fights in my career, so it's nothing new for me."

"I'm ready to go out there. I got the world's attention in the Ruslan (Provodnikov) fight, and I'm looking to shock the world again," he added.

Pacquiao, for his part, shrugged off Algieri's height and reach advantage.

"Hindi ako worried sa advantage niya, 'yung tangkad niya, dahil hindi lang ito ang first time na lumaban ako ng (mas) matangkad," he said. "Alam ko na ang gagawin sa taas ng ring."

The undefeated Algieri is fresh off a stunning upset, surviving two first-round knockdowns against Provodnikov and winning as 12-round decision.

Although he has only fought as a professional 20 times, Algieri has had his fair share of battles, having been a kickboxing champion while also serving as a sparring partner for the likes of Argentine brawler Marcos Maidana.

"I have been on an accelerated stage and route, but that's the way I want it," said Algieri. "I did the same thing in my kickboxing career. I won the fight for a world title in my fourth professional fight as a kickboxer."

"So here we are, it's my 21st fight. I'm already a world champion, but I want bigger and better things, and you don't get much bigger than Manny Pacquiao."

Pacquiao and Algieri left for New York shortly after their press conference for the final media stop of their 27,000-mile journey.

source: www.abs-cbnnews.com