Saturday, October 18, 2014

After KO win, Walters thanks 'great champion' Donaire


Hard-hitting Jamaican Nicholas Walters was gracious in victory after his stunning sixth-round knockout of Nonito Donaire, as he profusely thanked "The Filipino Flash" for giving him a chance to fight.

Walters connected on an overhand right with seconds to go in the sixth round that flattened Donaire, The win was the Jamaican's 25th straight, and his 21st victory by knockout.

"I enjoyed the fight," the charismatic Walters said in a post-fight interview. "I thank him for giving me this opportunity of fighting one of the best in the world, for giving me the opportunity to display my talent on HBO and to the world."

Walters said he prepared well for the fight against Donaire, who was the most high-profile opponent of his career so far.

"Knowing that we were fighting Donaire, we knew it was going to be tough work because he is a super, super great boxer, the super world champion," said the 28-year-old Walters.

"Category after category, he has won titles, so I know I had to respect him. I put a lot in this training, and that's what I did," he added.

Donaire was in control in the first two rounds, and Walters acknowledged that the Filipino "caught me with a few shots in the early round." "He has power, he has speed. He was good," he said.

One of those shots was a left hook that staggered Walters at the end of the second round, but the Jamaican shook it off.

"I went in a little bit too confident, and he caught be with a good shot. Boom," Walters said, laughing. He added that his corner was worried, but he "recuperated from the shot just by walking to the corner."

"But it was a very good shot. He caught me very, very clean. A very good shot. He had good power also, but I recuperated after that shot, and I knew I had a job to do. I just went out there and got the job done," he said.

Walters took control of the fight soon after, landing a right upper cut that knocked Donaire down in the third round, and then overwhelming the Filipino in the sixth round for a statement victory.

Walters said he set up his knockout shot like a fisherman sets his bait.

"If you take a look at it, I invited him to me, like fishing," said Walters.

Donaire tried to land a huge blow of his own against Walters, but the Jamaican leaned back to evade the blow, then countered with the right hand that knocked "The Filipino Flash" out – the first stoppage loss of Donaire's career.

"You give him the bait, and he came in. You see him launch a shot, and I got away from the shot, and then I caught him," he explained.

"But I take nothing away from Nonito. He's a great champion and a wonderful person," added Walters, who also said he wants to invite Donaire to his camp to help him prepare in future fights, should he ever face another speedy opponent like the Filipino.

Walters and Donaire showed no animosity towards each other after the fight, and hugged in the center of the ring afterwards. The Jamaican also told the Filipino that he was one of his favorite fighters.

"You're my favorite fighter now," Donaire told Walters in response.

source: www.abs-cbnnews.com