Sunday, February 22, 2015

Mayweather touts advantages vs. Pacquiao


American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. opened as the favorite against Filipino icon Manny Pacquiao ahead of their highly anticipated May 2 showdown at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

The American believes he deserves that distinction, noting the physical advantages he has over the "Pacman."

"When you just look at the tale of the tape, I have a longer reach, I'm taller, I'm stronger, and I'm more accurate," he told Fight Hype.

The Pacquiao-Mayweather showdown will feature a clash of styles, with Mayweather known as the premier defensive boxer of his era while Pacquiao is noted for his all-action offense and the ability to punch from all angles.

Mayweather will hold a size advantage in the welterweight fight, as he is slightly taller and has a slightly longer reach than Pacquiao.

The American doubts that height "plays a key" for Pacquiao, but insists it is something he plans to use come fight time.

"I think with me, (height) plays a key because I use a little bit of everything. I use my reach, I use my height, I use my movement," he said. "I use different techniques, whereas he is not as versatile as Floyd Mayweather."

Pacquiao is a very exciting fighter and is strong, Mayweather said, but insists that "this is a different league."

"I mean, this is a guy that can box going forward, this is a guy that can box going backwards, a guy that can counterpunch," Mayweather said, describing his own skills.

"I can tie you up, I can slug if I have to, but my thing is always working smarter, not harder," he added.

Mayweather also noted that Pacquiao has changed as a fighter since he stopped working with strength and conditioning trainer Alex Ariza, who is now part of the American's camp.

"Once Alex Ariza left, he's a totally different fighter," Mayweather said.

But despite his physical advantages, and the lack of Ariza in Pacquiao's camp, Mayweather makes it clear he is not going to underestimate the Pacquiao, who is the first boxer in history to win championships in eight different weight divisions.

"He may not be the same fighter, but this is a guy that I cannot overlook. He got here somehow and some way," said Mayweather of Pacquiao. "You never take nothing for granted, because anything can happen."

"But as far as me being nervous or worried, absolutely not. But I'm always cautious and smart," he added.

"You know, I don't have anything bad to say about (Pacquiao's trainer) Freddie Roach, I don't have to say anything bad about his team, but I believe in myself and I believe in my skills, and I got here somehow and some way by believing in my skills and believing in my talent."

source: www.abs-cbnnews.com