Friday, March 24, 2017

Mechanical engineering board topnotcher gets car from alma mater



CEBU -  Twenty-two-year-old Brylle Gilbuena was just hopeful he would pass the Mechanical Licensure Board Examination as he was not able to finish the entire test.

This is why he was surprised when he learned that he placed first in the board exam.

"Challenging ang Math and Science subjects. For five hours, wa ko katiwas og answer sa 100 questions," said Gilbuena.

(It was very challenging especially the Math and Science subjects. For five hours, I was not able to answer all 100 questions.)

The new mechanical engineer credits prayers for his success.

"Before I start studying, I pray and read the Bible para maguid-an ako ni God and then salig lang sa iyaha para mawa akong kulba kay akong giingon sa akong kaugalingon whether mopasar or dili or motop or dili I will praise God," Gilbuena added.

(Before I start studying, I pray and read the Bible so that God will guide me and I trust Him to ease my worries. I told myself, whether I pass the board or not or if I will top the board or not, I will praise God.)

Gilbuena is the second of five children. He was a working student in University Of Cebu Lapu-lapu and Mandaue (UCLM) in order to support his studies since both of his parents don't have stable jobs.

He even delayed taking the board exam since they did not have enough money to pay for his review. For five months, he worked as a Senior High School teacher in University of Cebu Lapu-lapu and Mandaue to support his review.

On Thursday morning, University of Cebu Chancellor Candice Gotianuy gave Gilbuena a brand new car as an incentive and reward for acing the board exams.

"We really want them to really achieve kasi we know na once students achieve, it will help the parents dibah matabangan man gyud ang parents so if matabangan ang parents matabangan ang family so economic cycle gyud ni siya," said Gotianuy.

(We really want them to really achieve kasi we know na once students achieve, it will help the parents because if they could help their parents means they could also help the family, so it's an economic cycle.)

Gilbuena said during the interview that he does not have definite plans yet but is considering taking a Master's degree.

Gilbuena bested 1,082 aspirants who passed the licensure examination given by the Professional Regulation Commission’s (PRC) Board of Mechanical Engineering this March.


It has been the practice of the University of Cebu to reward its outstanding alumni who bring pride to their institution.

Aside from the car for Gilbuena, his mentor will also receive P100,000.

source: news.abs-cbn.com