Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Fil-Am woman named as one of Houston’s ’50 Most Influential’


HOUSTON, Texas – A Filipino-American woman was the only Filipino to make it to the list of Houston’s 50 Most Influential Women of 2016 by the Houston Woman Magazine.

Among those selected was Fil-Am Carla Kuaiwa, currently the director of hospital operations, community relations, community benefits and volunteer programs for Memorial Hermann Health System.


“You don’t think about awards when you do community service, and for me, it’s just really giving back to the community. And to be recognized for that is really such an honor,” said Kuaiwa.

In her role, Kuaiwa manages over 300 volunteers, ensuring patients and guests of the hospital are taken cared of and feel welcome.

“My success is not based on my position. It’s really based on how my loved ones see me. It’s not about the title that I hold. It’s how my kids see me as an inspiration,” she shared.

A festive afternoon tea party to honor and connect the “50 Women” has marked the annual celebration since it began. This year’s event, attended by more than 225 invited guests, was co-hosted by Houston Woman Magazine and Chevron.

Kuaiwa hopes to inspire other young women to follow their dreams as well.

“Do not let anybody or anything to get in your way. Stay true to your talent, stay true to your instincts, and stay true to the values that you hold,” she said.


Read more on Balitang America.

source: news.abs-cbn.com