Friday, August 30, 2013

'The Truth' tests 'Big Ben' at heavyweight


MANILA – Filipino-American fighter Brandon Vera will go to war against Ben Rothwell when he returns to the heavyweight division in UFC 164 this weekend.

The last time “The Truth” fought as a heavyweight was in 2008 when he lost to Fabricio Werdum in UFC 85.

But after five years as a light heavyweight, the 6’3” fighter said he grew tired cutting weight.

“For me, the mental part of the game was a huge piece, and having to cut weight and having to stress out about that for the last three, maybe four weeks just sucked,” he said in UFC.com.

“Every time I went out and every time I ate I had to make sure of what I was eating and had to weigh what I was eating. I’m not that guy. It took me so long to get to doing that, and when I had to start doing that regularly, it sucked bad. I was just over it.”

The Vera-Rothwell is included in the pay-per-view card that will take place in Milwaukee on Saturday (Sunday in Manila).

Vera described “Big Ben” as a strong fighter who always liked to test his toughness.

“[He’s] a Midwest country boy who’s strong and likes to test his chin every fight.”

source: www.abs-cbnnews.com