Monday, July 13, 2015

McGregor claims he and Ronda are biggest draws in UFC


Newly crowned interim UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor tabbed himself and UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey as the biggest draws in the company, saying they are "at the top of the game."

McGregor is fresh off a technical knockout victory over Chad Mendes in the main event of UFC 189, a card that may well break the UFC's pay-per-view records and has already broken its live gate record.

All this happened even though McGregor's original opponent, featherweight champion Jose Aldo, withdrew from the card with two weeks to go due to a rib injury.

"Right now, I am running the game," McGregor declared at the post-fight press conference, as quoted by MMA Fighting. "I have every record in the book."

"The gate, the pay-per-view, all the viewing figures on FOX, UFC Fight Pass, highest attended weigh-ins… I have every record right now," he said.

"At the end of the day, I'm still only 26 years of age. I am still very, very young in this game."

For McGregor, the only fighter on his level is Rousey, the tremendously dominant women's bantamweight champion who has finished all 11 of her MMA fights.

"Myself and Ronda – Ronda is an absolute machine," said the opinionated Irish fighter. "She's an animal."

McGregor can especially relate to Rousey because the women's champion fulfills a huge amount of media responsibilities – the way McGregor did to promote his fight against Aldo, and then against Mendes.

"I look at her and I take great inspiration from Ronda, her work ethic," he said. "I feel it's me and Ronda at the top of the game, and I'm honored."

Rousey, who was recently tabbed by Sports Illustrated as "the most dominant athlete alive," is set to return to action on August 1 when she defends her belt against Bethe Correia at UFC 190.
 
source: www.abs-cbnnews.com