Thursday, July 9, 2015

McGregor clarifies: KO bet vs Mendes is $3.5M


Conor McGregor confirmed that he indeed offer UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta and president Dana White a multi-million dollar side bet that he will knockout Chad Mendes in two rounds.

But he said it wasn’t $3 million as White earlier announced, but $3.5 million.

The outspoken Irishman will be facing Mendes this weekend for the UFC interim featherweight title in UFC 189 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.

"I'm still hoping it goes ahead," McGregor said in MMA Fighting. "I feel it's a good bet. It could go either way, so I believe he should take it. It's to do with this pay-per-view stipulation, so it's not as black and white as it seems, but I hope he takes it."

McGregor was supposed to challenge Jose Aldo, but a rib injury forced the UFC featherweight champion to pull out despite heavy promotion done for the title bout.

Mendes stepped in as a replacement.

"We were discussing negotiations," McGregor said of his conversation with White. "And one of them negotiations was a little friendly wager. I sent him an e-mail breaking it all down.”

"I just heard that he spoke about it on the radio, so everyone else knows, because I didn't tell anybody. It was behind closed doors. I don't discuss business. He does, so I hope that means he is taking it."

source: www.abs-cbnnews.com