Showing posts with label New York Daily News. Show all posts
Showing posts with label New York Daily News. Show all posts

Saturday, November 21, 2015

Cavaliers' Smith accused of choking teen heckler


NEW YORK, United States - Cleveland Cavaliers guard J.R. Smith hit back Friday at accusations reported in New York media that he choked a 19-year-old man who was heckling him outside a Manhattan pizza shop.

"Don't believe everything you read!" Smith said on Twitter on Friday.

Earlier his lawyer Alex Spiro told Cleveland.com that the accusation "is completely false," and added there was no reason to think the former New York Knicks player would ever be charged.

The New York Daily News reported that 19-year-old Justin Brown had made the accusation, telling police that after Smith ignored a request for a picture Brown heckled him, and the player responded by shoving him against a wall and putting his hands around his throat.

The alleged incident in the early hours of November 13 was not reported to police until November 16.

The Cavaliers issued a brief statement on the matter on Friday, saying only that they had spoken to Smith about the reports.

source: www.abs-cbnnews.com

Friday, September 11, 2015

Ex-player Blake detained by police in 'scary' incident


Former tennis star James Blake was detained by New York police, handcuffed and thrown to the floor in a case of mistaken identity, it was reported.

Former world number four Blake, 35, and who is black, was leaving a plush Manhattan hotel on his way to the US Open when five white police officers approached him in connection with an investigation into the theft of mobile phones, the New York Daily News claimed.

Blake was held for 15 minutes before a passer-by recognised him and he was released.

The former player suffered cuts to his leg and elbow.

"It was definitely scary and definitely crazy," Harvard-educated Blake told the newspaper.

"In my mind there's probably a race factor involved, but no matter what there's no reason for anybody to do that to anybody,

"You'd think they could say, 'Hey, we want to talk to you. We are looking into something.' I was just standing there. I wasn't running. It's not even close (to be OK). It's blatantly unnecessary."

The New York Police Department (NYPD) said that the incident was under investigation.

"Today James Blake was detained by police in midtown Manhattan in regards to an ongoing investigation into fraudulently purchased cell phones, after being misidentified by a cooperating witness," said a statement.

"Once Blake was properly identified and found to have no connection to the investigation, he was released from police custody immediately.

"In regards to the alleged improper use of force, the Police Commissioner directed the internal affairs bureau to investigate."

Blake won 10 titles in his career, making almost $8 million, but last played on the tour in 2013.

Roger Federer, the sport's most successful player, praised Blake's reaction.

"You hope these things don't happen. Like I think James said it the right way. I have nothing else to really add to that," said the Swiss star.

source: www.abs-cbnnews.com

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Pacquiao, Floyd finally reach deal: report



Arum, Showtime exec deny report

MANILA, Philippines – Floyd Mayweather Jr. has reportedly agreed to fight Manny Pacquiao, according to an online report published Saturday.

Celebrity news site TMZ said Pacquiao and Mayweather, today’s top pound-for-pound fighters, have finally hammered out a deal after years of back and forth negotiations.

"Floyd Mayweather has agreed to fight Manny Pacquiao ... multiple sources tell TMZ Sports ... who say the two finally came to an agreement moments ago," the site wrote.



The report came out after the two boxers met face-to-face at an NBA game earlier this week. This was followed by another meeting when Mayweather visited Pacquiao at the latter's hotel room.

Both camps are said to have agreed to stage the fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada on May 2.

The report, however, was disputed by Top Rank Inc. CEO Bob Arum and Showtime Sports boxing chief Stephen Espinoza.

Arum said they have yet to settle the finer details of the bout, hence the reason there has not been any official announcements.

"I'm aware of the report, but there are still some contractual issues to work out," the veteran boxing promoter told New York Daily News. "It’s close but not done yet."

Espinoza, for his part said the TMZ report was inaccurate.

"TMZ usually has good sources. This time, not so much," he said wrote on his official account on social media site Twitter.

But Arum said they could come out will a formal announcement in two days, in time for Super Bowl Sunday (Monday in Manila).

"We have two days, it could happen (Sunday)," he said. "That would be incredible, wouldn’t it?"

source: www.abs-cbnnews.com

Thursday, December 25, 2014

Is this the solution to New York's commuter nightmare?


NEW YORK - Trying not to spill your coffee while wedged up against perfect strangers on a jam-packed subway is a daily challenge for New York commuters.

Now one real estate executive, inspired by an Alpine holiday in France, believes that cable cars can solve New York's transport problem -- too many people and too few trains.

A commute that could make you "soar, not sore" quipped the New York Daily News.

Tens of thousands of people travel across the East River from Brooklyn to Manhattan each day, squeezing into subway cars, packing onto ferries and clogging bridges with bumper-to-bumper traffic in a city of 8.4 million.

In the last 15 years Brooklyn has transformed into one of the most sought-after places to live in the United States, dense with bars, restaurants, nightlife and apartments with stunning views.

The only problem is that a single, overcrowded subway line, the L, and a single station, Bedford Avenue, serve the hippest and most coveted neighborhoods of Williamsburg and Greenpoint.

The strain is only expected to get worse as more people move into the area.

From the Brooklyn Navy Yard -- where Lady Gaga launched her latest album -- to the demarcation with Queens, up to 20,000 extra apartments are being built in the next 20 years, according to Daniel Levy, the man behind the ambitious idea.

Building a new tunnel or bridge would be prohibitively expensive, but European-designed cable cars could ferry as many as 5,000 people an hour across the water into Manhattan in just four minutes, said Levy, the president of New York's City Realty.

With around 15,000 traveling through Bedford Avenue each weekday between 7:30 and 9:30 am, that could be a significant load off.

Battling bureaucracy

"I absolutely believe this is hands-down the best solution, and so first and foremost I just want to see it built," Levy told AFP in his offices above the New York skyline.

He got the idea two and a half years ago, when he was skiing in the French Alps and found himself on a new, modern gondola system that took him by surprise.

"I got half way up the mountain and I said to myself 'Jeez, someone really ought to put one of these in between Brooklyn and Manhattan.'"

New York already has a tram, which connects Manhattan to Roosevelt Island, although the new system would be quicker.

Levy says he is in talks with city and state officials, real estate groups and community organizations to cut through the red tape, win financing and get the project off the ground.

Even the military has to give ultimate approval, as the Army Corps of Engineers controls navigable rivers in the United States.

"There's a lot of permitting, grants, a lot of approvals that need to happen," he acknowledged.

"It's a fairly long list. It's certainly a process."

The New York City Economic Development Corporation has tentatively welcomed the proposal.

They are "encouraged to see that people across the city are thinking creatively about addressing the transit needs of New York's growing population," said spokeswoman Kate Blumm.

If the idea comes to fruition, the city would be a late convert to gondolas, which are already up and running in cities in South America, Germany and Turkey.

Crazy enough to work?

Levy says 2018 or more likely 2020 would be the earliest they could be up and running.

He hopes that basic math will win over detractors.

"You can literally build a gondola system for pennies on the dollar over what it would cost to build a similar subway system," he said.

The technology is fast, reliable and would beautify the skyline, not least when lit up at night.

But is it really viable?

Levy admits that the plan has been met by intrigue and recognition that it is a difficult project.

Commuters battling with the bulge at Bedford Avenue had mixed feelings about getting a cable car to the office.

"I don't know how I feel about those because I know they get stuck a lot," said Lauren Liles, who works in business management and whose children go to school in Greenpoint.

Erwin Chen, who works on Wall Street and lives in Williamsburg, says there are days when he has to wait for three trains before he can board.

"The ski lift idea is crazy, it may be crazy enough to work."

source: www.abs-cbnnews.com