Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Algieri hopes Pacquiao fight is start of his legacy


American boxer Chris Algieri believes the time has come for his to step into the spotlight and become a star in the sport. But it all hinges on his performance against Filipino legend Manny Pacquiao on November 23.

"I'm a student of the sport, I'm a fan of the sport," said Algieri, who will challenge the "Pacman" for the WBO welterweight belt at the Cotai Arena in Macau. "I've been watching for years, and I've seen how other fighters careers have come from nothing and exploded."

"That's just kind of the nature of the game. You come out of nowhere, and boom. Look at Manny Pacquiao – he came out of nowhere, came to America, and had a breakout fight, and now, he's one of the best fighters that ever lived."

"He is literally a living legend. That's just how the sport works. So I'm hoping that this is the beginning of my legacy."

Algieri earned a shot at Pacquiao after beating Russia's Ruslan Provodnikov in a light-welterweight title fight last June, and he has been the underdog ever since the fight was announced.

Yet the tag has never fazed Algieri, who has been the picture of confidence all throughout the lead-up to the match, and has never wavered in his belief that he can beat the "Pacman."

"This is the way I feel," Algieri said when asked if he was simply trying to psych himself up, or if he was sincerely confident. "I know when I look in the mirror and I look myself in the eyes, that I've done all the hard work."

"I don't cut corners. I know that. So I have that belief in myself that I am ready," he stressed.

Algieri said he has prepared very well for the fight, and has spent training camp perfecting a strategy.

"We gotta go out there and do what we've been doing," said Algieri, who also acknowledged that Pacquiao has been "preparing very well" for the showdown as well.

"He's incredibly experienced, he's one of the best fighters that ever lived," said the American. "It's a tall task for myself, and my team, but we feel like we're ready."

"We've done everything necessary, (taken) all the proper steps leading up to this. I have the talent and the skills, and we just gotta go up there and perform," he said.

Algieri guaranteed that he was in his best condition of his career and is 100% ready for fight night.

"I'm still learning," he said. "But we're getting closer to matching my potential, and I think we'll do some great things on Saturday night." -- From a report by Dyan Castillejo, ABS-CBN News

source: www.abs-cbnnews.com