Thursday, May 26, 2016

Kirsten Dunst 'moved' by Jaclyn Jose's Cannes speech


MANILA - Jaclyn Jose, the first Filipina to win Best Actress at the prestigious Cannes Film Festival for her role in "Ma 'Rosa," shared a conversation she had with Kirsten Dunst, saying the Hollwood star was moved by her acceptance speech.

Jose met Dunst, a member of the jury for this year's film festival, during the closing ceremony held last May 22. Jose beat out the likes of Charlize Theron, Kristen Stewart, Isabelle Hupert and Marion Cotillard for the acting honor.

"Sabi ni Kirsten sa akin, she was touched because she thought it was a beautiful speech and that [I grabbed the hand of my daughter]," said Jose, who added that Dunst became teary-eyed during their talk.

Jose delivered her speech while accompanied by "Ma 'Rosa" director Brillante Mendoza and daughter Andi Eigenmann, who is also part of the cast of the drama film.




According to Jose, it was "instinct" that made her pull her 25-year-old daughter with the late Filipino actor Mark Gil onstage and introduce her to the audience.

"Ako naman, I go by my instinct, that's how I felt," Jose explained. "Iyon din naman ang mararamdaman nang tao, hindi naman natin puwedeng i-dictate iyan eh."

In her acceptance speech, Jose said: "I'm at a loss for words! I am so surprised and moved. Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all the jury members."

"I thank Brillante Mendoza, whose instructions I simply followed. He's a brilliant director. I am so happy you liked the film. I'd like to salute the Philippine people," she added.

source: www.abs-cbnnews.com