Showing posts with label Condoms. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Condoms. Show all posts

Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Coronavirus may spark 'devastating' global condom shortage


KUALA LUMPUR - A global condom shortage is looming as the coronavirus pandemic shutters factories and disrupts supply chains, the world's top maker of the contraceptives said, with the United Nations warning of "devastating" consequences.

Over half of humanity has been confined to their homes as the highly contagious virus marches around the planet, while governments worldwide have ordered the closure of businesses deemed non-essential.

Malaysia -- one of the world's top rubber producers and a major source of condoms -- imposed a nationwide lockdown last month as infections surged to the highest level in Southeast Asia.

But restrictions on the operations of Malaysian contraceptive giant Karex, which makes one in every five condoms globally, mean the firm expects to produce 200 million fewer condoms than usual from mid-March to mid-April.

With other producers around the world likely facing disruption and difficulties in getting condoms to market due to transport problems, supplies of contraceptives will be hit hard, warned Karex chief executive Goh Miah Kiat.

"The world will definitely see a condom shortage," Goh told AFP.

"It's challenging, but we are trying our best right now to do whatever we can. It is definitely a major concern -- condom is an essential medical device.

"While we are fighting the COVID-19 pandemic, there are also other serious issues that we need to look at," he said, adding he was particularly worried about supplies of condoms to developing countries.

UN SOUNDS ALARM

Karex, which supplies condoms to many companies as well as governments and for distribution by aid programs, had to close its 3 Malaysian factories for a period at the start of the country's lockdown, which is due to last until April 14.

The company has since been allowed to resume operations but with only 50 percent of its usual workforce, and Goh wants permission to ramp up production.

The UN is also sounding the alarm, with its sexual and reproductive health agency warning it can currently only get about 50-60 percent of its usual condom supplies due to virus-related disruptions.

"Border closings and other restrictive measures are affecting transportation and production in a number of countries and regions," said a UN Population Fund spokesperson, adding they were taking steps such as adding extra suppliers to support urgent needs.

The agency, which works with governments worldwide to support family planning, said a key concern was being able to ship condoms to where they were needed quickly enough -- and warned the poorest and most vulnerable would be hit hardest if stocks run low.

"A shortage of condoms, or any contraceptive, could lead to an increase in unintended pregnancies, with potentially devastating health and social consequences for adolescent girls, women and their partners and families," said the spokesperson.

There could also be a rise in unsafe abortions and an increased risk of sexually transmitted infections and HIV, the agency said.

Even as factory shutdowns and border closures throw the condom industry into chaos, demand appears to be increasing.

Goh said Karex had seen growing demand as people worldwide are confined to their homes, while Indian media reported that condom sales had jumped 25-35 percent in the week after the country of 1.3 billion people announced a lockdown.

CHINA TO THE RESCUE?

Despite the warnings about a potential shortage, there are positive signs from condom makers in China, where the virus first emerged last year but which has largely managed to bring its outbreak under control.

Major producers there have resumed operations as authorities eased tough restrictions to halt the virus, which has claimed more than 80,000 victims worldwide.

HBM Protections, which makes more than one billion condoms a year, said production is back to normal levels and it is pushing ahead with earlier plans to triple its number of manufacturing lines by the end of the year.

And Shanghai Mingbang Rubber Products said it was ready to ramp up condom exports, which currently make up only about 10 percent of its output, if there is a global shortfall.

"If the international market runs into such problems... we will be willing to export more," chief executive Cai Qijie told AFP.

Agence France-Presse

Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Split concerns force Durex to recall condoms in UK, Ireland


LONDON - Durex, owned by Reckitt Benckiser, has recalled some batches of its “Real Feel” and “Latex Free” condoms in the United Kingdom and Ireland due to concerns they may burst.

“Our tests have shown that some batches which are currently on the market in UK & Ireland do not pass the requirements for burst pressure towards the end of the shelf life for the product,” Durex said in a statement.

Durex said only a limited number of batches were affected and that customers would be offered a full refund.

“Anyone using affected batches are advised to stop use over concerns they do not meet safety standards,” the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency said in a statement.

“There is a risk that the condom might tear or leak reducing its protection from sexually-transmitted diseases and pregnancy.”

source: news.abs-cbn.com

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Free at Rio Olympics: 9 million forest-friendly condoms


XAPURI, Brazil - Brazil's government will hand out 9 million condoms for free around Rio de Janeiro during the Olympics in August, a push meant to encourage safe sex and also defend the Amazon rainforest.

Rio's local Olympic organizing committee said about 450,000 of the sustainably-produced condoms will be destined for athletes and staff housed in the Olympic Village.

The rest will be made widely available to the many visitors who will be arriving in the city in just a few weeks, the Health Ministry said.

All the condoms to be distributed are produced by Natex, a factory in the western Amazonian state of Acre, deep in the rainforest near Brazil's border with Bolivia.

The factory, run by the Acre state government, uses latex gathered from Amazon rubber trees by tappers who are employed by a government-run program designed to protect their traditional livelihood, foster sustainable use of the rainforest and deter illegal loggers.

The tappers see themselves as guardians of the rainforest.

On a recent outing, Raimundo Mendes de Barros, a 71-year-old lifelong rubber tapper with a stark white beard, gathered the milky-white latex dripping into metal buckets hooked at the base of countless trees. Above, the tropical sun was filtered by the Amazon canopy.



Barros spoke with pride about the fierce fight he and other sustainable rubber tappers wage to maintain their craft.

"Our condom factory, aside from guaranteeing a fair price for the rubber, employs hundreds," he said. "It gives the world a product - the condom - that will be very present there in Rio, to fight disease and help with birth control."

For decades, tappers like Barros have been on the front line of pushing Brazilian leaders to do more to halt deforestation, which is mostly caused by the illegal clearing of forest for ranching, soy farms and timber extraction.

The fight has sometimes come at a heavy cost as farmers and loggers have sometimes retaliated with hired guns. Scores of people have been killed over the years trying to protect the forest, most notably the internationally known environmentalist and rubber tapper Chico Mendes.

His 1988 murder in Xapuri, where the condom factory now stands, helped galvanize the government to take serious measures to battle deforestation and the violence against Amazon defenders.

For several years Brazil's Health Ministry has distributed millions of condoms from the factory for free at big events around Brazil - most notably the annual bacchanal of Carnival.

source: www.abs-cbnnews.com

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Condoms vs chocolates in the Philippines on Valentine's Day


MANILA - A condom maker in the Philippines capital Saturday found their Valentine's Day giveaway challenged by a church group who tried to persuade people to swap the contraceptives for chastity and chocolates.

A colourful flower market in Manila became the unlikely battleground over the use of contraception in the Catholic dominated Southeast Asian country as the church group countered the free condoms with chocolates and sweets -- complete with printed messages encouraging chastity.

"Exchange your condoms for candies, #WeKeepLoveReal," read the signs carried by volunteers from the Christian advocacy group Filipinos for Life.

"Condoms send the wrong message that Valentine's is about sex, when it's really about love," volunteer Anna Cosio told AFP.

DTK Health, the country's biggest condom manufacturer, plans to give away 40,000 condoms over the weekend, the company's head of marketing Emmanuel Alfonso told AFP.

Offering free condoms alongside stalls selling bouquets of red roses, balloons and chocolates for Valentine's Day will help erase the stigma attached to contraceptives, Alfonso said.

The country's ultra-conservative Catholic Church continues to preach against contraceptives, likening its use to abortion, despite failing to block legislation to make them widely available to the poor.

In the past, the government handed out free condoms on Valentine's Day but didn't this year to avoid drawing the ire of the Church, health department spokesman Lyndon Lee Suy told AFP.

But he stressed the ministry was not giving up its safe sex advocacy, especially to stop the spread of HIV/AIDS.

"Every time you do it, sex should be safe, not only during Valentine's," health Lee Suy said.

While men casually accepted the condoms from the DTK models in tight blue t-shirts and shorts, some bashful women handed them back and then scurried away.

But some people got both candies and condoms.

"I already ate the candies. The condoms, I can't use it yet because I'm only 16 and I don't have a girlfriend. Maybe I will keep it in my wallet for good luck," college student Danny Villegas told AFP.

source: www.abs-cbnnews.com