Showing posts with label Oil Company. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Oil Company. Show all posts

Monday, July 20, 2015

Brazil hands down first sentences against Petrobras scandal businessmen


BRAZIL - A Brazilian judge on Monday handed down the first sentences against businessmen caught up in a huge corruption scandal centered around state oil company Petrobras.

Judge Sergio Moro sentenced former Camargo Correa construction company CEO Dalton Avancini and another top former executive, Eduardo Leite, to 15 years and 10 months prison.

They had been found guilty on charges including corruption and money laundering linked to a sprawling bribes-and-kickbacks scheme at Petrobras and major Brazilian construction businesses.

Previously, Petrobras executives have been sentenced in the case, which has also seen prosecutors investigating dozens of high-profile business executives and politicians.

Both Avancini and Leite could see their sentences converted into house arrest in exchange for having cooperated as state's witnesses.

Camargo Correa chairman Joao Auler was sentenced to nine years and six months in prison for corruption. Camargo recorded a turnover of $8.15 billion in 2014.

source: www.abs-cbnnews.com

Monday, July 28, 2014

Russia hit by USD 50-B Yukos ruling


LONDON - Russia has been ordered to pay Yukos shareholders a record USD 50 billion in compensation over its seizure of the defunct oil giant, lawyers said on Monday, in a new blow on top of sanctions over the Ukraine crisis.

An arbitration court in The Hague ruled that Russia forced Yukos -- formerly owned by ex-tycoon Mikhail Khodorkovsky -- into bankruptcy with excessive tax claims and sold its assets to state-owned businesses led by energy giant Rosneft for political purposes.

Russia was defiant in the face of the judgement with Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov vowing that the state would "use all of its legal options to defend its position", with the claimants who now face a further battle to claw back their cash.

Rosneft also stood by its purchases as fully lawful.

Yukos was once Russia's biggest oil company but was broken up after Khodorkovsky was arrested in 2003, shortly after President Vladimir Putin warned Russia's growing class of oligarchs against meddling in politics.

Tim Osborne, executive director of GML Ltd, the main shareholder and claimant in the case, told a news conference in London that the tribunal "unanimously confirmed that the attacks by the Russian Federation on the Yukos oil company ... were politically motivated."

The award was the "largest in arbitration history", GML said in a statement.

Osborne said the ruling would hurt investment in Russia, which is already in the spotlight over the escalating crisis in Ukraine, while companies close to Vladimir Putin's regime are braced for tougher sanctions.

"I suspect at the moment Russia is a place where not many people are going to be investing," Osborne told the press conference.

Khodorkovsky -- who is no longer a shareholder and is not a party to the legal proceedings -- praised the verdict and slammed Russian leaders.

'Historic award'

"It is fantastic that the company shareholders are being given a chance to recover their damages," said the businessman, who was released last year after more than a decade in prison.

"The Yukos case has been an instance of unabashed plundering of a successful company by a mafia with links to the state," he said in a statement on his website.

Yukos was sold off in opaque auctions to state companies led by Rosneft. The government firm was then a small player but today stands as the world's biggest stock market listed oil company by production volumes.

That process clouded the reputation of Russia as a place to do business, and investment sentiment has plunged since the annexation of Crimea, fighting in eastern Ukraine, and the uncertainty this has created.

The claimants will now try to prove in international courts that Rosneft is the "alter ego of the state", meaning that if Moscow does not pay up, then they can recoup some of the money by seizing the energy giant's international assets, their main lawyer Emmanuel Gaillard said.

"This is an historic award," Gaillard said.

"It is now judicially established that the Russian Federation's actions were not a legitimate exercise in tax collection but, rather, were aimed at destroying Yukos and illegally expropriating its assets for the benefit of State instrumentalities Rosneft and Gazprom."

Rosneft -- which is targeted by US sanctions over Russia's actions in Ukraine -- said all its dealings in respect of Yukos were "fully lawful."

It said that it "does not consider that the company could be issued any demands due to the published ruling or that the ruling could have a negative effect on the commercial activities or assets of the company."

BP link

Osborne, when asked if claimants would consider pursuing BP -- a 20-percent shareholder in Rosneft -- warned: "I think it is safe to say that nobody is safe".

The claims against Moscow were brought in 2005 by Hulley Enterprises Limited and Veteran Petroleum Limited, two subsidiaries of former majority shareholder GML Limited, both based in Cyprus.

A claim was also brought by Veteran Petroleum Ltd., the pension fund set up by GML for the benefit of former Yukos employees.

The claimants had demanded a total compensation package of $100 billion (74 billion euros), four times their total investments in the now-defunct firm, to take into account what it would be worth today, plus interest.

The arbitral tribunals at the Permanent Court of Arbitration unanimously held that the Russian Federation had effectively expropriated the claimants' assets, according to the ruling on the PCA website.

But it explained on its website that it had not awarded them the whole $50 billion because there was "some contributory fault on behalf of claimants, leading them to reduce the amount of damages awarded."

source: www.abs-cbnnews.com

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Flying V to slash fuel prices

MANILA, Philippines – Flying V has announced that it will roll back its fuel prices on Sunday.

The firm said effective 12:01 a.m., prices of its premium and unleaded gasoline will be reduced by P0.40 per liter while diesel prices will be slashed by P0.50 per liter.

Oil company Seaoil also implemented a rollback on Saturday. -- Report from Alvin Elchico, ABS-CBN News

source: abs-cbnnews.com

Monday, February 6, 2012

Five missing after Japan refinery tunnel collapse

TOKYO -- Divers were searching for five workers after an undersea tunnel collapsed at one of Japan's biggest oil refineries Tuesday, emergency services said.

Six people were in the partially constructed tunnel at Kurashiki, 550 kilometres (350 miles) west of Tokyo, when it caved in, but one managed to get out, a spokesman for the city fire department said.

The survivor "said that sea water came gushing in" and flooded the tunnel, according to the spokesman.

The accident happened at Mizushima Refinery, operated by JX Nippon Oil and Energy Corp.

"Police divers have begun their work searching for the missing," the spokesman said.

The refinery, which began operation in 1961, has capacity to process 365,000 barrels of oil per day and produces fuel oil, lubricant and various petrochemical products.

It also serves as a hub for the heavy industrial district of the city.

The tunnel, designed ultimately to be U-shaped, was about 11 metres (36 feet) in diameter and 30 metres deep, the fire department spokesman said. It stretched for about 140 metres.

Construction had begun in 2010, local reports said.

Aerial television footage broadcast by NHK showed muddy water littered with debris filling the vertical entrance shaft.

Several divers could be seen in the water, as many other emergency workers looked on.

JX Nippon Oil is Japan's largest oil company, which specialises in petroleum and petrochemical refinery, along with imports of gas and coal, according to the company website.

source: interaksyon.com