Sunday, March 18, 2012

BB Gandanghari opens up to sis-in-law Mariel, but mum on sex-change surgery


MANILA, Philippines – The much-awaited interview by Zoren Legaspi with his wife Carmina Villaroel’s ex, the iconic gay symbol BB Gandanghari, did not push through on Saturday at Paparazzi Showbiz Exposed, but a one-on-one with guest host Mariel Rodriguez left more questions unanswered, including a sex-change operation abroad.

BB Gandanghari, once known in local filmdom as Rustom Padilla, spoke his [her] mind in an interview with Mariel, who served as guest host that day in the entertainment talk show. Mariel, married to Gandanghari’s brother Robin Padilla, got the chance to conduct the first interview with Gandanghari since the latter returned from New York.

According to a Paparazzi insider, Gandanghari had already promised Mariel she would get first crack at interviewing him at his first live guesting on his return. So, she was merely fulfilling a promise to a "newfound sister-in-law".

The fans’ disappointment at not seeing Gandanghari interact with Zoren was apparently made up for by the former’s classic quips.

While admitting that she had never been surer and happier now than before, BB Gandanghari skirted the question of whether she had a sex change abroad.

After nearly two years of living and working in New York, BB looked more waif-like and modelesque. But her answers left more questions especially when Mariel asked her if she underwent surgery while in the US.

When asked if she is a ‘real woman’ now, BB replied: “Whatever you’re seeing now is a manifestation of how I really feel deep inside. And I’ve made decisions in my life and I guess (they’re) the best decisions I’ve made. It made me surer, it made me happier, more peaceful. I have peace of mind [now].”

Asked to elaborate further, she said: “But I hope you will forgive me if I don’t wanna talk more about it. Because whatever is in between my legs is my own private thing. And hopefully my partner’s.”

BB then asked Mariel if she thought she hadn’t changed enough. When Mariel said “Yes, I think you have changed,” BB said: “Exactly. I have nothing against change. Ang sabi ko nga I’ve embraced my change, I’ve embraced everything and yun happy ako. Day, aapak-apakan ka sa New York kung hindi ka buo ano [They will walk all over you in New York if you’re not complete]!”

Before BB’s homecoming, rumors had swirled that BB had undergone a sex change in the US to complete her transformation. Prior to her change, BB or Rustom Padilla, was a matinee actor, a one-time action star and even married to his leading lady, Carmina Villaroel.

Androgynous model

BB gave Paparazzi her first interview upon returning home after she went to the US in 2010 to pursue modelling. She said she worked hard to achieve a more svelte figure and kept a disciplined lifestyle.

“I walk six miles in the morning and six miles at night. Tapos, I do yoga, everything,” she said.

According to BB, she once tried out for a modelling agency but was rejected because she couldn’t simply fit into the clothes at 140 lbs.

“Ang lola, ‘day, kailangan yung cleansing (diet). For 24 days, I did that. I was 140 when they said that to me and I went down to 115. Konting disiplina lang to!” she said.

BB said despite the rise of androgynous or ‘gender-less’ model Andrej Pejic, she still felt discrimination in the US. She said they were treated like the “new Black (Americans)” and had to work doubly hard to prove themselves in the industry.

“[If ordinary women] would have to prove themselves 100 percent, we have to prove ourselves 200 percent, or even more,” she added.

Ready to face ex-wife?

Since publicly outing himself in 2006 and her transformation in 2009, BB has yet to meet Carmina. Now that she is more comfortable with herself, will she meet her ex-wife in person?

“I’m ready to face anyone,” she said.

Mariel earlier revealed on the show that Carmina had invited BB to guest on her showbiz talkshow on ABS-CBN. But Robin asked BB to grant Mariel an exclusive interview first before going to other shows.

When Mariel pointed out that some people thought BB’s female peg was her former wife, she replied: “Parang gusto kong sabihin kay [I feel like telling] Carmina, don’t flatter yourself, charing! Loko lang [Joke only]!”

The arrival of BB on the set of Paparazzi was highly anticipated especially since she was expected to bump into Carmina’s current partner Zoren Legazpi, who is one of the show’s regular hosts.

But the two did not appear together onscreen. Despite this, BB seemed comfortable talking about Zoren.

“Ang ganda ng pagkaka-blow dry (ng buhok),” BB said when asked what she thought of Zoren.

BB hinted at the possibility of returning to acting while she stays in the country for three months.

“I miss acting. [regardless of whatever role they trust me with]. I just want to work as an actor here,” she added.

Message to haters

Meanwhile, when asked about her current relationship with her family, BB refused to give a definite answer.

“No comment. Honestly, no comment. I don’t wanna say anything na possible pang pagsimulan ng sama ng loob. So no comment,” she said.

In a taped interview, BB’s mother Eva Eugenio admitted that she hadn’t seen her in more than a year and that she “missed” her. But it was not clear if BB had already seen her mother after returning home.

BB admits that with her transformation, she knows she could polarize people.

“Either you’ll love me or hate me,” she added.

For those who still do not approve of the changes she underwent, BB has these words to say: “Dun sa mga nagmamahal sa akin, tumatanggap sa akin, maraming maraming salamat [To those who love me, accept me, thank you].

“I don’t feel any different from any of you guys I’m just unique as you are unique. So let’s just embrace our uniqueness and respect our uniqueness let’s avoid hate.” With an earlier report by Liza Endaya

source: interaksyon.com