Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Bamboo doesn't see himself as an actor


MANILA, Philippines -- Rocker Bamboo Manalac dismissed suggestions to venture into acting despite receiving many offers for him to star in TV projects.

“That will never happen with me, sorry. I guess I know what I’m good at, I know what I’m comfortable with. I’ll never say never but I’m almost 99.9% sure," Manalac said in an interview with Push.com.ph.

Although he did a film with Rivermaya, he noted that they merely sang in the movie and that no acting was involved.

Several rockers have branched out into acting while still making music including Callalily frontman Kean Cipriano, Marc Abaya and even Manalac's former Rivermaya bandmate Rico Blanco.

Instead of acting, Manalac chose to become a coach in the upcoming TV reality show "The Voice of the Philippines," which premieres on June 15.

Manalac said he and his fellow coaches in "The Voice" aren't acting at all.

"It’s just me being me, all genuine 100% and that’s all I expect for myself," he said of his stint on "The Voice."

"But to be someone else, I don’t know. I have to have a director I can trust for film. For TV, I don’t know, I can’t handle the hours. I enjoy what I do too much which is singing, performing, and songwriting. That’s what I live and breathe for and having my own time,” he added.

Manalac admitted that there have been offers to do acting projects.

“Of course, there’s been offers. It’s always been there but I’ve always said no and I’ve even gotten scripts for certain things and I guess when the right thing comes along and if I feel I’m mature enough that I can handle it then, why not? But right not now, today 99.9%, I doubt it because I love what I do," he said.

"Ngayon pa lang I’m so swamped. I’m doing so much already so I can't imagine finding time to do anything else. And when I do something I want to be 100% in. Ayokong daanan lang 'yan eh. I’m not that kind of guy. I’m not that kind of artist. I don’t want a paycheck. I want something that’s going to fulfill me so 'yun ang importante sa akin,” he stressed.

Apart from "The Voice of The Philippines," Bamboo is also set to do a concert with Yeng Constantino dubbed "By Request" at the Araneta Coliseum in August.

source: www.abs-cbnnews.com