Monday, August 5, 2013

Jasmine surprised with Cinemalaya win


MANILA – Young actress Jasmine Curtis-Smith still can't believe that she won in the recently concluded Cinemalaya Independent Film Festival for her very first movie.

The younger sister of Kapamilya talent Anne Curtis bagged the best supporting actress award for her role in “Transit,” which was entered in the “New Breed” category of the popular indie film fest.

In an interview with ABS-CBN News after the awarding ceremonies on Sunday, the young actress said she did not expect to win as joining the festival itself is already an honor for her.

“Hindi ko talaga siya in-expect. We were having a conversation before I heard my name. When I heard my name, I said, ‘Am I presenting again?’ And then someone said, ‘You just won best supporting actress.’ Yung face ko talagang, I don’t want to go out yet. I tried to compose myself,” she said.

She added: “I’m so happy. I did not expect this for my first film. I did not even expect to be getting a film from Cinemalaya. Just that was enough for me and getting an award is more than enough. I’m over the moon.”

After receiving her award, Curtis-Smith said the first person she sent an SMS to was her mother.

“I texted my mom, she’s probably asleep in Australia. My Ate (Anne Curtis) texted me. I’m just so thankful and so blessed. I’m just so thankful for everything and everyone who hugged me,” she said.

“Transit” tells the story of Filipino diaspora in Israel. It specifically deals with one family, siblings working in Tel Aviv. They have expired working visas. They are in hiding.

Read ABS-CBNnews.com’s review of the movie here:

source: www.abs-cbnnews.com