Wednesday, June 12, 2019

K-pop star B.I says to leave iKON over drug scandal: report


MANILA — Korean rapper B.I announced Wednesday his plan to leave K-pop boy group iKON following a report that accused him of attempting to buy illegal drugs.

In a statement posted on his Instagram account, B.I, whose real name is Kim Han-bin, admitted to being involved in illegal drugs and apologized for his actions.

"I would like to sincerely apologize for stirring up trouble due to my tremendously inappropriate actions," wrote the 22-year-old iKON leader, as translated by K-pop news site Soompi.

"It is true that I wanted to rely on something that I shouldn’t have had any interest in due to going through a hard and painful time. However, I was too scared and fearful to do it," he said.

"I intend to humbly self-reflect on my mistake and leave the team," B.I added.

iKON's talent agency, YG Entertainment, also announced B.I's departure from the group as well as the termination of his contract, according to K-pop Herald.)

Korean media outlet Dispatch reported early Wednesday that B.I attempted to purchase marijuana and LSD (lysergic acid diethylamide) in 2016.

The police did not summon nor contact B.I for investigations, according to the report.

iKON debuted in 2015 as a 7-member group with the song "Rhythm Ta." Their other singles include "Love Scenario," "Killing Me," and "Goodbye Road."

The boy band performed in Manila last February for the launch of Samsung's Galaxy S10 phone. They also had their first solo concert here last November.

source: news.abs-cbn.com