Showing posts with label Private First Class Joseph Scott Pemberton. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Private First Class Joseph Scott Pemberton. Show all posts
Thursday, October 23, 2014
After Laude rally, tighter security for Pemberton
Media barred from filming Pemberton quarters
MANILA - Even from across the street, journalists are no longer allowed to take footage of the United States-controlled JUSMAG facility inside Camp Aguinaldo, where US Marine Joseph Scott Pemberton is said to be detained.
The facility is now named the Mutual Defense Board (MDB) and Security Engagement Board (SEB) facility, for use of American military personnel while talks are ongoing among the Mutual Defense Board members.
Pemberton was flown into the facility by a US helicopter from the vessel USS Peleliu in Subic Bay.
He is now guarded by fellow US Marines, and his detention there means that custody remains with the United States.
Journalists were filming outside the perimeter fence on Wednesday when Pemberton arrived, but were not allowed to film up close.
Now, Filipino United Nations peacekeepers who had just arrived from the Golan Heights are manning the perimeter, preventing the press from taking any more footage.
The gap between container vans has also been covered with a shelf by US Marines, to further prevent the media from getting a view of Pemberton's detention area.
New restrictions on the movement of the media are now also enforced inside Camp Aguinaldo.
They are told that they can only stay at the grandstand. Driver's licenses are now surrendered at the gate, and the media will be forced to leave camp premises by 5 pm.
This is the AFP's response to Wednesday's commotion, when the media covered the family and fiance of slain transgender woman Jennifer Laude as they stormed past the outer gates of the MDB-SEB facility to try and talk to Pemberton.
The Laudes have been prevented from having an audience with Pemberton since the killing took place.
Atty. Harry Roque, counsel to the Laudes, said they were also prevented from taking saliva and urine samples from Pemberton, which would be instrumental to the murder case.
General Arthur Ang berated the media for following the Laudes into the outer gate, saying everyone was in violation of camp rules.
A truckload of civil disturbance management officers with shields were then deployed to herd the media away and stop all reports in the area.
Lt. Col. Harold Cabunoc also arrived at the scene, and scolded Jennifer's sister, Marilou Laude, who had crossed the fence.
Cabunoc told the Laudes - who by that time had been asking to speak to any military officer - that they were trespassing and could be jailed.
On Thursday, the AFP announced that it would file a complaint against Jennifer Laude's German fiance Marc Sueselbeck, a foreigner who entered a military camp without permission.
Aside from that, Sueselbeck also shoved aside a Philippine soldier in his attempt to approach Pemberton's room just meters away.
The complaint will be filed before the German Embassy and the Bureau of Immigration.
source: www.abs-cbnnews.com
Wednesday, October 22, 2014
Pemberton transfer a mutual decision - Oban
Miriam slams VIP treatment of Pemberton
MANILA - Government officials said the transfer of Private First Class Joseph Scott Pemberton to Camp Aguinaldo was mutually agreed upon by both authorities from the Philippines and the United States.
During the hearing at the Senate, Presidential Commission on the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) executive director Eduardo Oban said the decision "was in consultation of both the US and the Philippines, as represented by the Department of Foreign Affairs and the Department of National Defense."
Oban said he was the one who accompanied Pemberton aboard the UH-1Y helicopter owned by the US from the soldier's detention at the USS Peleliu to Camp Aguinaldo on Wednesday morning.
"We took off around 8:00 a.m. together with the legal officer of the US Navy and security personnel from the US," he said.
This, amid Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario’s acknowledgement that custody over Pemberton "can be claimed by the US."
Assistant Foreign Affairs Secretary Eduardo de Vega of the DFA Office of Legal Affairs said: "We have always been telling them, there is no way we will allow him to be detained in the US embassy. We even invoked [Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago’s position]… it must be in sovereign Philippine territory."
Santiago agreed, and said: "I would rather die."
Oban said Pemberton will stay there until a charge is filed in court and custody is transferred to Philippine authorities.
Santiago, who presided over the hearing, asked: "Who will furnish his meals there?"
Oban answered: "The US government.”
Oban said there is also US personnel guarding Pemberton in his detention.
Asked if he can accept visits, Oban said, "Such arrangements can be discussed [by the parties]."
Senator Sonny Angara asked Del Rosario what would happen if the same scenario happens to a Filipino soldier in the US.
Del Rosario said: "The US will have custody... because of the nature of the activities entered into."
In a press release issued after, Santiago slammed the VIP treatment of Pemberton.
She said the US has "engineered a sham Philippine custody over Pemberton.”
“He arrived by helicopter, protected from accusing eyes. He is detained in an air-conditioned facility. Outside his door are American guards. Outside the facility are Philippine soldiers. The mere physical arrangement indicates that he is being guarded against his Filipino critics,” she said.
She even described the arrangement "offensive," because it shows VIP treatment accorded to Pemberton supposedly owing to the US desire to quell howls for Philippine custody over the marine.
Earlier in the hearing, Santiago insisted that the Philippines should take immediate custody of the suspect upon commission of the crime since it happened in Philippine soil.
She had also called for the scrapping of the VFA, saying it was heavily tilted towards the US.
During the hearing, Santiago also wondered if there were guidelines drafted on the matter of custody.
She said the VFA has "iniquitous" language.
source: www.abs-cbnnews.com
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)

