Thursday, August 1, 2013

Carly Rae Jepsen talks about Filipino ex

 

'Call Me Maybe' hitmaker thrilled over PH concert

MANILA -- Carly Rae Jepsen used to date a Filipino musician with whom she frequently collaborated before making waves worldwide with the juggernaut hit "Call Me Maybe."

This was the Canadian singer-songwriter's candid sharing with ABS-CBN News on Thursday, when asked whether she is open to collaborating with any Filipino artist.

"Yeah, when I'm not writing for myself, I like to write for other artists, too, so that would be definitely something I would be open to doing," she said through a phone interview.

"Actually the second boyfriend that I ever dated was Filipino, and he was a talented musician. He used to play the saxophone all the time. We used to come together all the time," the 27-year-old pop star added.

Set for a one-night concert at the Smart Araneta Coliseum in Quezon City on August 7 -- her first in the Philippines -- Jepsen said she intends to expand her Filipino connection.


 
Speaking with ABS-CBN News' Gretchen Fullido, the former "Candian Idol" finalist shared her excitement about finally meeting her Pinoy fans, and what they can expect from the "retro-pop party" that is her concert.

Has someone ever used the line, 'Call me, maybe' on you?

(Laughs) Yes, I would say quite a few people have -- but I have a new song, but everyone seems to want that to be the first question that they ask! -- but no, it's happened a few times. And it's usually a radio DJ, something like that!


Is there any artist you would like to collaborate with?

I really love Kelly Clarkson. She's a total sweetheart, she's probably one of my favorite pop artists, just for her personality and like how a warm person she is. And if she would be interested in working together, I would totally want to!

Did you know you have so many fans here in the Philippines?

That means so much to me, and I think that's why it's really important for me to get to be there for the first time and meet the fans face-to-face and thank them for all their support.

Are you excited to be coming for your concert?

I honestly can't wait. It's going to be my first time to be visiting Manila and the band boys and me are so, so, so pumped!

What can we expect from your concert here in Manila?

Well it's going to be a party, like a retro-pop party. We've got lights, we will enourage every one to sing along and dance. It's going to be a lot of fun!

Will you be dancing and interacting with the fans?

Well I also enjoy a little spontaneity. I really like feeling the crowd, and I feel like if somebody shout out loud, 'That's a song I love,' I usually grab them up on stage with me! And for some reason, when I sing a song in front of everybody, I make them all sing and it's just fun! I'd like for the show to take on its little path as I go.

What song of yours would you dedicate to your Filipino fans?

I think 'This Kiss' is what I would dedicate, because it's just fun and a little flirtatious, and since I'm coming there for the first time, that's exactly what I plan to do.

Are you going to travel within the Philippines to discover our food and beaches?

I have heard a lot of great things about that actually. That's something we always make an effort to do, to sort of go from place to place, to experience and definitely try the beaches. And if we have time... I will be trying as much Filipino food as I can get my hands on.

What's your message to your Filipino fans?

My main message would just be... Thank you so much, and I love you all, and I can't wait to see you in person. It's going to be a really fun show, and try to make it to the party, so come on down!

What would be your advice for young singers who want to make it big?

I would say, number one, if you have a dream, hold on to it, and work as hard as you can to just exercise as many different opportunities out there, and try different means to get to your goal.

I would say, funny, I knocked on eight different doors. Seven of them didn't open and one sort of become my chance to be my lucky ticket, so just keep your chin up and keep trying.

source: www.abs-cbnnews.com