Sunday, August 25, 2013

Janine Tugonon to stay in US for good


MANILA – Almost a year after her reign as the Miss Universe 2012 first runner-up, Janine Tugonon will soon leave for the United States and stay there for good.

“I’m going to the States in September. I’m studying there. Babalik pa naman ako every now and then for some events and for some contracts that I have here. But, yes, I’m moving there for good,” she said in an interview with “The Buzz” on Sunday.

The beauty queen said she just wants to chase her dream now that it’s within her reach.

“Kasi ever since I really wanted to study abroad. This time, there’s an opportunity na talaga and I can study na talaga. I want to,” she said.

Meanwhile, Tugonon denied reports that she is in a relationship with actor Benjamin Alves after they have been spotted together numerous times in public.

Tugonon maintained she and Alves are just friends and there is nothing romantic going on between them.

“Hindi ko po siya boyfriend. We are not even dating. People saw us at Cinemalaya and they said it was a date. I was with Jonas (Gauffud, her manager) and Cheska (a friend) that night. It was the four of us. Benjamin is a very good friend of mine. We go to the same church. We eat after church with our other friends,” she said.

In a separate interview, the 24-year-old actor, in a report published on the entertainment news site Philippine Entertainment Portal, said he is currently "going out" with the beauty queen.

"I say we go out, wala namang masama doon porke't artista kami," said Alves. "Para namang big deal kung lumabas kaming dalawa. If we were 15 [years old], then that could be a big deal. We're of age naman na."

Both Tugonon and Alves are under the management of the talent agency Mercator.

Tugonon maintained that she does not have a love life as of the moment.

Breakup with Jaypee

In the same interview on "The Buzz," the beauty queen also addressed questions concerning her former relationship with Jaypee Santos.

Last April, Tugonon made headlines when she broke up with Santos after she admitted on national television that she got attracted with The Script vocalist Danny O'Donoghue.

“I kept quiet during that time. There’s nothing I can say that can actually change what people think kasi it’s already set in their mind. Parang ako, I think it’s better na tumahimik muna,” she said.

Tugonon said she really waited for the right time to finally explain what happened.

“I think I was misunderstood. Parang iba 'yung na-perceive nung tao, [that I dumped Jaypee without mercy]. There’s a bigger story behind that breakup,” she said. “I want to keep it private as much as possible but hindi lang 'yung The Script issue. It’s more than that. [The breakup] was a mutual decision.”

“I admit I was at fault because of what happened. The ‘Kris TV’ interview, it was my fault. But the breakup, kaming dalawa ang involved doon eh. May dahilan pa. Before the concert, before everything popped out, hindi lang iyon ang story,” she added.

Tugonon, however, admitted that O'Donoghue was indeed one of the reasons why they called it quits.

“Of course, I admit I got attracted. I said that on ‘Kris TV.’ Who wouldn’t? I love the band, I love their music a lot. I got attracted. Yes, nagselos [si Jaypee]. I think one of the reasons (iyon) but hindi iyon ang main reason,” she said.

Tugonon also emphasized that O’Donoghue did not court her.

“Natawa ako sa issue na we are dating. Unang una, how can it happen, he’s in the other side of the world? I think we just talked. Of course, I admit I got attracted. But no, [hindi nanligaw],” she said.

source: www.abs-cbnnews.com