Wednesday, August 7, 2013

'Worst thing Pacquiao can do is underestimate Rios'


MANILA – The worst thing Manny Pacquiao can do in his comeback fight is to underestimate the dangerous Brandon Rios, said conditioning coach Alex Ariza.

In Ariza’s opinion, the 27-year-old Rios seems to be a formidable opponent who can withstand harsh punishment in the ring.

He also told veteran sportscaster Ronnie Nathanielsz that the Mexican brawler can also throw a mean punch.

“Rios is very durable, I think he punches harder than [Juan Manuel] Marquez,” said Ariza, who is credited for helping Pacquiao make his successful climb to the welterweight ranks through his scientific approach in conditioning his athletes.

Ariza, meanwhile, admitted that he remains clueless about his status with Pacquiao.

Pacquiao said he is no longer working with the conditioning coach since his trainer Freddie Roach fired Ariza.

“I haven’t heard anything from Manny. How can Freddie fire me when I don’t work for him? Everybody knows that the past two years I haven’t worked for Freddie,” he said.

“I will give Manny a call and talk to him but you just never know.”

source: www.abs-cbnnews.com